Utopia- Uschmopia

In the lecture, Ted talked about the concept of Utopian versus Dystopian futures. After a week of having to follow the story of the (democratically elected) leader of one of the most powerful countries playing “my toys are better than yours” with another- possibly even more unhinged- man in power, I’m not feeling too confident in our chances of making it to a future where we get to sort neatly into either category.

dt-and-kju

The leaders of two powerful countries.

I also don’t believe that a distributed system or centralized system are inherently going to lead to either future. We have an example of an unregulated system in the form of the Dark Web. 70% of it is perfectly legitimate, but the other 30% is some seriously dark stuff. Centralized systems can also easily be abused.

A system is only as good or bad as the intentions and actions of people using and controlling it. No system can protect against human nature.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s